I would love to hear from you!
Master’s in Library and Information Science
University of Denver, 2013
Bachelor of Arts, majors in Humanities and French
Honors B.A. from University of Colorado at Boulder, 2009
University of Colorado Boulder –Boulder, CO
Education Librarian and Assistant Professor, 1/2016-present
- Subject specialist for School of Education, Department of Linguistics, and Department of Ethnic Studies
Arapahoe Community College –Littleton, CO
Reference and Outreach Librarian, 4/2013-12/2015
- Instructed 230+ Information Literacy workshops, April 2013-June 2015
- Initiated outreach program to 2,000+ concurrent enrollment students and instructors
- Developed “Research Help” reference service at Parker, Castle Rock campuses
- Co-led migration to OCLC’s WorldShare Management Integrated Library System
- Initiated implementation of Proxy Service for database authentication
- Instituted internal Libguide for staff announcements, training, scheduling, policies
- Completed cataloging for McKinnell Special Collection of 200+ art and ceramics books, March 2014
- Conducted usability study for library website, November 2013
- Led workshops for faculty and staff on research tools and techniques
- Performed in-person and virtual reference for individuals and groups
- Scripted, recorded, and produced Camtasia tutorials on the research process and tools
- Cataloged and processed new materials
- Communicated with vendors about new products, technical issues
- Ensured compliance with closing procedures as Library’s closing supervisor
- Assisted with campus-wide library marketing initiatives
Auraria Library–Denver, CO
Graduate Assistant in Research and Instruction, 8/2012-5/2013
- Designed, taught, and assessed library instruction courses for undergraduate English classes at Community College of Denver, University of Colorado at Denver, and Metropolitan State University
- Provided reference service at the Research Help Desk on weekends
American Society of Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T) Student Chapter–Denver, CO
Vice President, 3/2012-5/2013
- DU club named “ASIS&T Student Chapter of the Year” for 2012-2013
- Planned, organized, and presented at Tech Bootcamp conference January 12, 2013, attended by 53 students from Morgridge College of Education
- Helped plan and produced 6 TechBytes Speaker Series events during fall and winter quarters
Education Nationale Française–Vesoul, France
Teacher Assistant, 9/2009-5/2010
- Developed lesson plans and projects, made cultural presentations to groups of 25 students
Boulder Book Store–Boulder, CO
Sidelines Buyer, 5/2008-9/2009; Floor Staff Supervisor, 8/2007-5/2008; Bookseller, 9/2004-5/2008
- Purchased, merchandized and inventoried over $50,000 worth of sidelines items
- Managed up to 8 booksellers working on the retail floor
- Introduced authors for both in-store and special events (of up to 500 people)
Published Articles and Book Chapters
- Couture, J., Dommermuth, E., Floersch, N., Ilett, D., Nowak, K., Roberts, L.M., Sagas, J., and Watson, R. (2021). “We’re gonna figure this out”: First-generation students and the academic library. portal: Libraries and the academy, 20(1), 127-147. Preprint.
- Welsh, M.E., Roberts, L.M., and Keller, C.R. (2019). Meet, greet, and eat: Creating community for transfer students through a library picnic. In N. Tran & S. Higgins (Eds.), Supporting today’s students in the library: Strategies for retaining and graduating international, transfer, first-generation, and re-entry students (213-234). Chicago: ACRL Press.
- Maxson, B., Neeley, M., Roberts, L.M., Stone, S.M., Lowe, M.S., Macy, K.V., and Miller, W. (2019). The Power of peers: Approaches from writing and libraries. Reference Services Review, 47(3), 314-330. doi.org/10.1108/RSR-03-2019-0020
- Kuglitsch, R., Roberts, L.M. (2019). Scholarship of teaching and learning and transfer of information literacy skills. In M. Mallon, R. Huisman, L. Hays, C. Bradley, and J. Belanger (Eds.), The grounded instruction librarian: Participation in the scholarship of teaching and learning (31-42). Chicago: ACRL Press.
- Roberts, L.M., Welsh, M.E., Dudek, B. (2019). Instruction and outreach for transfer students: A Colorado case study. College & Research Libraries, 80(1), 94-122.
- Roberts, L. M. (2019). The choice is yours: Guiding graduate students to construct meaningful and motivating learning goals. In M. Rigby & S. Steiner (Eds.), Motivating students on a time budget: Pedagogical frames and lesson plans for in-person and online information literacy instruction (43-65). Chicago: ACRL Press.
- Roberts, L. & Welsh, M.E. (2017). Engaging transfer students: Institutional support, challenges, and recommendations. University of Colorado Boulder Academic Futures White Paper.
- Reynolds, K.M., Roberts, L.M., & Hauck, J. (2017). Exploring motivation: Integrating the ARCS model with instruction. Reference Services Review, 45(2), 149-165. doi.org/10.1108/RSR-10-2016-0057 or via CU Scholar
- Roberts, L.M. (2017). Research in the real world: Improving adult learners’ web search and evaluation skills through motivational design and problem-based learning. College & Research Libraries, 78(4), 527-551. doi.org/10.5860/crl.78.4.527
- Roberts, L. (2017). Review of Practical statistics: A quick and easy guide to IBM SPSS statistics, STATA, and other statistical software by David Kremelberg. ACRL Instruction Section Bibliography of Research Methods Texts.
- Roberts, L. (2017). Review of The book of R: A First course in programming and statistics by Tilman M. Davies. ACRL Instruction Section Bibliography of Research Methods Texts.
- Roberts, L. (2017). Review of The coding manual for qualitative researchers by Johnny Saldaña. ACRL Instruction Section Bibliography of Research Methods Texts.
- Co-presenter with Megan Welsh and Cynthia Rain Keller, “ Partnering with transfer students: Student voices on academic libraries and transitions to campus” [Paper Session]. AERA Annual Meeting San Francisco, CA, 2020, Apr 17 – 21.(Conference Canceled)
- Co-presenter with Megan Welsh and Jeremy Moore, “Valuing transfer students’ voices: Practical possibilities for two-year and four-year institutions.” American Association of Colleges & Universities (AACU), Diversity, Equity, and Student Success Conference, March 29, 2019.
- Co-presenter with Juliann Couture and Darren Ilett, “You got this”: First-generation college students and the academic library. First Generation Southwest Symposium, September 28, 2018.
- Co-presenter with Bronwen Maxson and Michelle Neely, “Peers who paddle together, learn together.” Library Instruction West, July 20, 2018.
- Co-presenter with Megan Welsh, “Transfer connection: Colorado academic library services to transfer students,” Colorado Association of Academic Libraries, October 12, 2017.
- Co-presenter with Cynthia Keller and Megan Welsh, “Charting a course with transfer students: A roundtable conversation.” Library Instruction West, July 19, 2018.
- Presenter, “When school is work: Learning goals for education PhD students.” European Conference on Information Literacy (ECIL), September 21, 2017.
- Presenter, “Foothills to fourteeners: Preparing students for research in the real world,” Library Instruction West, Salt Lake City, UT, June 10, 2016.
- Presenter, “ReMix: Combining motivational design with problem-based learning to build real world information competencies,” LOEX – Library Instruction Exchange, Pittsburgh, PA, May 6, 2016.
- Co-presenter with Andrea Reveley, “Turning wallflowers into groupies: Getting non-users to use the academic library,” Colorado Association of Libraries, October 24, 2015.
- Co-presenter with Andrea Reveley and Casey Lansinger, “Course correction: Integrating user feedback to make changes big & small,” Colorado Association of Libraries, October 24, 2015.
- Facilitator and presenter, “Hunt and gather: Hands-on practice with digital curation tools,” at Arapahoe Community College Campus Connection Days, November 25, 2014 and January 12, 2015.
- Co-presenter with Kim Dority, “Networking online and in-person,” CAL New Professional’s Interest Group Hiring Panel Workshop, February 8, 2014.
- Co-presenter with Julia Havelick, “Free tech tools for formative assessment,” CoALA Spring Workshops, March 15, 2013.
Selected Professional Service
- Chair, ACRL Instruction Section, Research and Scholarship Committee, 2019-2020
- Vice Chair, ACRL Instruction Section, Research and Scholarship Committee, 2018-2019
- Member, ACRL Instruction Section, Research and Scholarship Committee, 2016-2020
- Past-Chair, Colorado Association of Libraries New Professionals Interest Group, 1/2016-12/2016
- Volunteer, Anschutz Medical Library, Education and Reference department, 4/2015-9/2015
- Chair, Colorado Association of Libraries New Professionals Interest Group, 6/2014-12/2015
- Member, Ask Academic Reference and Education Committee, 12/2013-10/2014
- Secretary, ACRL Instruction Section Instructional Technologies Committee, 7/2013-6/2014
- Vice-President, Colorado Association of Libraries New Professionals Interest Group, 2012-2014
- Chair, Rocky Mountain Special Libraries Association (RMSLA) Academic Relations, 2014
- Vice-President, ASIS&T Student Chapter, 2012-2013
- Secretary, ALA student chapter, 2011-2012
- Peer reviewer, Library Student Journal (ISSN 1931-6100), 2012
- Current ALA/ ACRL and CAL member
Volunteering and Community Involvement
- CU Restorative Justice Program, Community Member volunteer, 2020 – present
- Coming to the Table, Member, January 2020 – present
- Board of Directors of Canyon Cares, Member, 2019 – present
- Anschutz Medical Library, Education and Reference department, Volunteer, April 2015 – September 2015
- Service Learning Intern, BTOP Grant, Denver Public Library, 2012
Selected Awards and Honors
- Ralph E. Ellsworth Award for Outstanding University Libraries Faculty Member, May 2020
- Employee of the Month, with Cynthia Keller for the April 2019 K-20 Teacher Librarian Breakfast, September 2019
- Employee of the Month with Megan Welsh and Juleah Swanson for Living Library, April 2018
- CU Boulder University Libraries’ Employee of the Month with Megan Welsh and Juleah Swanson, January 2017
- Nominated to participate in Academic Management Institute for women in higher education, 10/2014-1/2015
- Beta Phi Mu Library Honors Society, 2014
- MLIS Outstanding Student Award, 2013-2014
- Passed with Honors, MLIS Comprehensive Exam, 2013
- Vice President of University of Denver American Society of Information Science and Technology Student Chapter, named “ASIS&T Student Chapter of the Year” for 2012-2013
Recent Continuing Education
- Circle Process facilitation training with Colin Johnson, University of Colorado, January and April 2020
- Inclusive Pedagogy Showcase with George Kuh, Thomas Laird, and Saundra McGuire, University of Colorado, October 2019
- Inclusive Pedagogy workshop with Vanessa Roberts, University Libraries, University of Colorado, June 2019
- American Association of Colleges & Universities (AACU), Diversity, Equity, and Student Success Conference in Pittsburgh, PA, March 2019
- First Generation Southwest Symposium in Flagstaff, AZ, September 2018
- Intercultural Development Inventory Training and Assessment, Fall 2018
- Library Instruction West in Grand Junction, CO, July 2018
- EDUC 6804: Multicultural Children’s Literature, Summer 2018
- ACRL Immersion, Teaching with Technology Program, 2017 [competitive]
- EDUC 8320: Quantitative Methods 1, Fall 2016
- COLTT Teaching and Learning Conference, August 3-4, 2016
- EDU 265 Instructional Design 3-credit, 8-week course, taught by Danielle Staples, Arapahoe Community College, Summer 2015
- Academic Management Institute for Women in Higher Education, 2014-2015